Sunday, May 25, 2008

How Training Wheels Ruined America



It recently came time to take the training wheels off of my son's bike. At first he was eager to have them off and join the ranks of independent riders. However, shortly thereafter he was seized by fear and self-doubt and refused to even try. He insisted that I run along beside him and stabilize him as he rode. After he was pedaling steadily I would release my grip and run along shouting words of encouragement. But as soon as he realized I had released my grip he would panic, swerve to the left or the right, turn sharply, drag his feet and come to a slow, clumsy stop. Overcome by fear - at the very moment of triumph and independence - he would forget even what he already new. He could no longer steer or brake properly - two things he could so aptly do while wrapped in the security of training wheels.

Given the choice he would have gladly given up. I, on the other hand, was determined to repair the damage I had caused by giving him a bike with training wheels. Seeing his eagerness move so quickly to despair I recognized the crippling effect this event could have on his life. I could foresee many moments where he would come near the edge of great accomplishments only to relinquish his quest due to some perceived, yet unsubstantiated, fear without the willpower, skill, or capacity to follow through and emerge victorious. Even worse, he might never even approach that edge. Then it came to me: training wheels have ruined America. Training wheels create a false sense of accomplishment.  They keep us trapped in our comfort zones and support the disturbing trends of laziness, greed, hyperconsumerism, debt and failed relationships.  It takes effort to overcome these vices, and training wheels teach us that effort is scary and unnecessary.  What "training wheels" are holding you back, and what could you accomplish if you let them go? 

No comments: